Bleach is the go-to fungus-killer for many homes and businesses and has been for over a hundred years. It’s ingrained in us to reach for bleach whenever you have to kill or prevent mold. But that habit comes with a dramatic health costs for people and our planet. The good news is that there is a better option that’s just as effective as bleach, but without the toxic downsides. We’ve got the scoop on why you should re-think using bleach when you have to tackle fungi including mold and how to kill mold without bleach.
The Health Impact of Bleach You Probably Don’t Know About
Bleach is one of the most common cleaning chemicals, but guess what? Manufacturers are not required to evaluate the health impact of exposure to it over time. We’re all exposed to bleach on a daily basis because it’s used so ubiquitously in businesses, daycares and homes. But important research is now being done by health experts, and recent studies have shown that chronic exposure to the most common cleaning chemicals, including bleach, can be as damaging to lungs as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day.Another major study showed a 35% increase in the risk of COPD in people who used disinfectants like bleach weekly and a 45% increase for those using them more often.
Because bleach can be so caustic to our respiratory systems, it can trigger asthma (even in people who have never had asthma) and allergy symptoms and be dangerous to those who suffer from these conditions. This is worth thinking about given about 40% of US children and 30% of US adults have asthma or allergies. The health impact can last beyond the exposure to bleach, with some asthma sufferers still showing reduced lung function the day after exposure.
And then of course there are the safety risks. Bleach is a deadly poison when swallowed by children and, when mixed with other powerful cleaning products, like ammonia, it creates chlorine gas which is deadly if inhaled. You should rinse surfaces and wear gloves and a mask when using it. Bleach can be highly corrosive to surfaces and can cause burns to eyes and skin as well as throat irritation and gastric burns. You also don’t want to pour bleach down your pipes to keep drains clear, because it can interact with other substances and result in toxic fumes.
Force of Nature is your toxic-free mold-killing alternative to bleach. You can use it to kill mold and mildew on just about any surface, including tile, porcelain, stainless steel, plastic, sealed stone, and more. It’s just as effective as bleach but without the masks, gloves and rinsing. You can also use it to prevent the growth of mold and mildew.
We have 2 size options to meet the needs of homes and businesses: our 12 ounce Force of Nature for smaller workplaces and homes, and our large-capacity, commercial-grade Force of Nature Pro that makes 32 or 64 ounces. Both appliances use an electronic control system that senses and automatically adapts to accommodate differences in water chemistry and temperature to ensure that every batch made meets the EPA’s strict germ, mold and mildew killing standards. Purchasing for a large business or organization? We can customize pricing, assortment and training for you! Just click here to get started.