Top 5 Things You Need to Know About Using Hypochlorous Acid As A Better Alternative To Bleach For Disinfecting
#1. Bleach is a strong chemical that must be handled with care.Bleach is a registered disinfectant, which means that the Environmental Protection Agency has tested bleach and determined it kills 99.9% of the bacteria and viruses that it claims to within its designated dwell time. Unfortunately, products like bleach are now so commonplace that many people don’t understand the need to carefully follow the safety directions and treat liquid bleach as a potentially hazardous substance. Here are some tips to remember when using bleach:
- Read directions on the label and follow them closely, don’t assume you know. Dilution ratios, dwell times, and storage instructions could be different than you think. And you never want to combine bleach with other cleaning chemicals. An example is ammonia, where if combined with bleach, can cause chloramine gas, which can be deadly.
- Wear gloves when working with bleach and wash your hands afterward.
- Use in a very well ventilated area, as bleach fumes can trigger respiratory reactions. If you have asthma, avoid using it. Studies have linked use of liquid bleach to lung damage, citing that even infrequent use on a weekly basis could increase the risk of developing serious respiratory conditions like COPD.
- Bleach can be corrosive and can cause burns to skin and eye tissue as well as corrode surfaces like certain metals or stones, so be extremely careful about splashing and where you store it.
- Contact poison control if you or someone in your household ingests bleach or gets it in their eyes, nose or ears. Household cleaning products can be a major source of poisoning for children, so keep any products containing liquid bleach out of reach of children and pets.