The holidays are wonderful for creating family memories, reconnecting with old friends and reflecting on what’s truly important, aren’t they? They also provide us with a special kind of mayhem with their packed parking lots, super long school vacations, gift lists that exceed our budgets and visiting family members. We can’t help you with the visiting relative who makes everyone tense, but we can help you with a few easy eco-friendly cleaning tips to help get you through the holidays!
First things first. You probably aspire to be eco-friendly in all of your cleaning, but it’s okay to confess that you do bust out the hazmat cleaners from time to time. Uncooked turkey on a cutting board or counter top? Red wine spill on a chair? Pet accident on a rug? If you are guilty as charged, we are letting you off the hook, because you are about to learn that there is a better way to clean up the holidays’ nastiest messes.
You might not have heard of it, but there is a cleaner that’s been used in the industrial space for years because it’s as effective as bleach yet non toxic. It’s called electrolyzed water and it’s created when electricity is applied to salt, water & vinegar. Electrolyzed water is a cleaner and deodorizer that’s just as effective as conventional cleaners (i.e. the hazmats!). It’s very simple chemistry that used to require $10,000+ industrial size equipment, but now you can make it right on your countertop with a little appliance called Force of Nature. Here are some eco-friendly cleaning tips to help get you through the holidays.
Top 7 Eco-Friendly Cleaning Tips
1. Clean spills on furniture & rugs: Visiting family and friends are awesome, really, but you have to admit it is kind of stressful when someone drops a slice of pecan pie or latke on the couch. And the red wine spill on the rug, not to mention the wild toddlers running around with grape juice boxes. But no need to worry, just blot the spill, spray Force of Nature on the fabric or rug, then wipe (repeat if necessary). It cleans as well as Resolve but without the toxic chemicals. And it won’t remove color like bleach does. Just test in an inconspicuous spot first to ensure the dyes are colorfast.
2. Clean cutting boards & counters: Whatever you make for your holiday meal, turkey, brisket, fish – you’ll want to thoroughly clean the cutting board and counters. Or if you’re making Christmas cookies with your kids; your junior egg crackers will probably leave quite a mess behind. The good news is that Force of Nature is safe enough for your kids to clean with you. That’s right – you can put them to work! Even though it’s as effective as bleach, they don’t need gloves or to rinse a surface after it’s sprayed. That’s because there is nothing toxic in Force of Nature – no fragrances, dyes, preservatives, allergens or irritants. So put your kids to work helping you clean the table, counters & cutting boards. Force of Nature is also as effective as Formula 409 and Clorox Clean-Up on grease and oil, so you can use it to go to town on those pans.
3. Keep fresh cut flowers fresh: This is one of the most surprising eco-friendly cleaning tips for a lot of people: electrolyzed water actually keeps flowers fresh longer. Just pour a few ounces of Force of Nature into the vase with the water, and that holiday arrangement will hopefully long outlast your company.
4. Deodorize trashcans: Few things stink as much as a turkey carcass in the trash, even just a few hours after it’s discarded. If your family eats fish for the holidays, you know that’s just as bad. And taking out bags & bags of trash late at night when your company leaves – we empathize! So spray that trashcan with Force of Nature thoroughly and buy yourself a little time until you’re more motivated to take out the trash. Force of Nature is as effective as Febreze but without the toxic chemicals.
5. Clean spills on clothing: You know how it happens: you dress your little one in his holiday-finest and within about 7 minutes, your child is wearing a major spill along with that cute holiday sweater. Or maybe that perfect cranberry sauce you made got onto your shirt. Just spray it with Force of Nature as soon as you can, then wipe and repeat until the stain is gone. Because it’s completely non toxic, you don’t have to worry about using it on the clothing your child is wearing. And remember that with any stain remover, the sooner you treat it, the better your results will be.
6. Deodorize musty “extras” that have been in storage: With visitors over the holidays, a lot of families have to bring extra chairs, bedding and blankets out of storage. You know that musty, dank smell? Force of Nature will get rid of it for you. Just spray it on the offending cushion or blanket and let dry.
7. Stinky dogs: Okay we realize this could happen pretty much any time of year, but it can be so much worse when you have company visiting. Here’s the scenario: the dog goes outside, finds something wonderfully rancid to roll in, then strolls back into the house like royalty. And you’re juggling company and meals and children, so you don’t really have time to wash the dog. You don’t need it! Just spray a paper towel or towel with Force of Nature, then wipe down the dog. It’s 100% pet-safe and will stop that stench in its tracks.
We hope these eco-friendly cleaning tips will help make this festive time of year a tiny bit less stressful, so that you can truly enjoy the sweetness of the holidays.